Wednesday, October 02, 2013


This is long, long overdue but I just couldn't pull together the necessary momentum to get going with it. The last time we saw "our hero" he had just been released from Holy Cross Hospital where he was treated for a collapsed lung. Within a couple hours of writing about that episode, he was rushed back to Holy Cross where it was determined his condition was three times worse than the first. I was assigned a surgeon who placed a tube in my chest to re-expand the lung. The wild thing about that is when the tube entered my lung, I was immediately relieved. Not a couple minutes later, but immediately! Three or four days later, that tube was taken out and another, smaller one replaced it. It is still there as I write this and I'm not sure how long it needs to stay there. Holy Cross is a very good hospital and the staff if excellent. But it is a hospital and it's a lot like being in jail, or some other restrictive place. I left the hospital Monday night, after waiting four hours for the oxygen I needed to get home and the wheelchair I needed to get me to the car. I am currently on oxygen 24/7 and when I have an appointment (as I did today) I have to pull an oxygen tank along with me. I met some nice people in the hospital and some who were not so nice, but generally they were alright. There were a couple of amusing incidents and a couple of scary moments, but I seem to be responding fairly well.


Dumb Law of the Week: In Tennessee: It is illegal to use a lasso to catch a fish.

À la prochaine, mes amis.


Nadege said...

I have been working a lot and didn't have time for my favorite blogs. I did go on Facebook a bit but no time to play.
I know you feel better but good grief, what an ordeal you just went through! I hope the worst is behind you and am sending you wishes for better days ahead!

Peter Olson said...

I just love your way of describing these quite dramatic moments in such a detached way! Take care... and I sincerely hope that you can get rid of the wheelchair and the oxygen tank the soonest possible!

Megan said...

I hope you are feeling better. A collapsed lung, i can't believe it. I guess no traveling for awhile.