Monday, February 01, 2010

Stupid Wish



One of the surprises about the apartment we rented in Paris, was that there was nothing in the kitchen. That was surprising, because in every apartment we've ever rented, there was something in the cabinets; at the very least, salt and pepper. Usually, we would find coffee, tea, sugar and sometimes dry food items that had been left behind by previous renters. But this time...nothing. So, Robb bought some salt and pepper. Why is that even a topic of discussion one might ask? Well, the other night I made what I call Oriental Beef and Noodles (even though I don't use beef) and I used the pepper bought in Paris. I thought it was just regular black pepper and I didn't use very much of it. That's a good thing because this stuff is powerful hot. I had thought I might use diced tomatoes with green chilis, good thing I changed my mind about that. I like spicey food, but I detest foods that are so hot you can't taste anything and your only experience is that of burning your mouth.
I know it's difficult to tell from this picture taken from our balcon, but this is a neon martini glass. The thing is, if you're having a party and you want to invite everyone in the complex, you place this in your window and everyone knows to show up for drink, and fun. Okay, not really. I just made that up, but it's a cool idea don't you think?
The World Health Organisation and the pharmaceutical industry have been criticised for their handling of last year's swine flu pandemic. At a hearing of the Council of Europe - the European Union's human rights body - the WHO faced accusations that it exaggerated the danger of the virus under pressure from drug companies. When a pandemic was declared last June, most European countries changed their health priorities to accommodate thousands of expected patients. A number of European governments had signed contracts with the drug companies to buy back vaccines, believing a flu pandemic long predicted by health experts would be a virus-like bird flu with a very high death rate. But swine flu, it is now clear, is a mild flu with a lower mortality than seasonal influenza. The organisation denies any conflict of interest. - BBC
Obama: Stop Filling Administration with RIAA Insiders. Nearly two dozen public interest groups, trade pacts and library groups urged President Barack Obama on Thursday to quit filling his administration with insiders plucked from the Recording Industry Association of America. Read More.
Why I'd rather be punched in the testicles than call customer service.
On my Wish List:

À la prochaine, mes amis

No comments: