Sunday, June 15, 2008

Paris 2008 - 12 Juin

Jeudi -

Robb had to go to BNP Paribas again. He couldn't have chosen a worse day on which to go. It was raining lightly when we left the apartment. By the time we got to Place de la République, it was a bona fide downpour. It was also freezing. I mean, it was COLD! Robb was not dressed appropriately, wearing only a light jacket, and spent most of the trip shivering.

When we finally left the bank, an hour and a half later, the sun was shining but it was still cold. As usual, Robb was hungry, so I suggested we go to La Taverne. What a laugh that was. I was indisposed when Robb placed our order, so I don't know if he screwed it up or if it was the waiter, but I did not get what I had told him to order. I suspect it may have been the waiter, because Robb ordered onion soup and had to ask again before he finally got it. Then, he had haddock with sauerkraut and I had salmon in a pastry. I wasn't overly fond of it. He loved his poisson.

While we were eating, an American family (dad, mom and son) walked in. Not a word of French passed their lips until the mom asked directions to the "salle de bain". The waiter looked at me with the most amused expression on his face, and I was flat-out laughing. The reason that is funny is because the French NEVER ask to use the "bathroom", they always ask directions to the toilet (ou sont les toilettes, s'il vous plait?).

When we left, as we passed their table on the café terrasse, I said, "Enjoy Paris." To which the dad replied, "Thank you. Merci. Viva la France." I mean how can you not crack up at something like that?

Since we got back to the apartment, I haven't been feeling too well. I hope it's just a temporary thing. I did take a short nap, but it didn't seem to help, although now, several hours later, I don't feel bad at all.


Plus à venir, mes amis.

No comments: